Thursday, September 11, 2014

STANDARDS FOR JUDGING MARYLAND HONEY in the 2014 local fair!

So, fellow beekeepers and honey extractors and enthusiasts, today is the day I enter my extracted light amber honey in the local county fair!

If I don’t win first place, I've decided it is not possible for me to do so!
I have done everything the judge told me last year that the pro's do.
I also researched the honey standards for judging in the state of MD, see http://gworrell.freeyellow.com/honey_stds.html (illustrated in the chart below).

I have-
-extracted the honey from the center of the column of the bottling tank, after it sat out for a night to settle particles
-set the bottles in a window sill at a slight tilt all summer to get bubbles to rise and stick to the side of the original extraction jars
-used glass flat paneled 1 lb jars for final jars
-used gold lids on final jars
-fished out bubbles with toothpicks and spoons in newly poured jars; (there were not many, just a few.)
-filled to the top right under the cap in each of the three jars.

I've entered the light amber division, as my honey is locust honey, extracted in June after the local locust bloom.  I tried to get that fill line just right on all three jar entries.  So, if the taste is good and the % of water is ok (below 18.6%), I’m in like Flynn.  We will see. I will be disappointed if not!

Stay tuned,...(I'm also entering a photo.)

STANDARDS FOR JUDGING MARYLAND HONEY AND OTHER HIVE PRODUCTS
EXTRACTED HONEY
ATTRIBUTEPOINTS
Density- water content above 18.6% disqualify
No upgrading if below 16%
20
Freedom from crystals10
cleanliness and freedom from foam30
cleanliness and neatness of container10
Accuracy of filling-Honey to the fill line just below the jar cap. In the absence of a fill line, the honey level with the bottom of the jar cap with no air gap. If multiple entries, uniformity of filling10
Flavor- Downgrade for objectionable flavor and overheating. Disqualify if fermented20

No comments: